Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Need a Taste of the New Issue?

How about:
ROMERO VS. ROMERO
One Fanboy’s Take on Night of the Living Dead

REALLY, I LOVE THE ORIGINAL AND WANT TO HAVE ITS BABY

I spent quite some time trying to figure out how to approach this article. My ultimate conclusion was to take a running jump off the cliff, because no matter what I’m going to piss off a few fans of the original Night Of The Living Dead. In my sacrilegious defense I LOVE the original NOTLD for what it is, tried to do, and stands for. I love it the same way I love and respect the original versions of King Kong (1933), The Thing From Another World (1951), War Of The Worlds (1953) and The Bride Of Frankenstein (1935). I consider those films among my favorite fantasy films ever. I’ve lost count of the number of the times I’ve seen each of these. They are also recognized as culturally important works that represent watersheds of their genres (and it pleases my inner Fanboy to know he is not alone in his crazy love of these films). But even with all this unbridled Lassie, Come Home-type lovin’, do I consider them flawless? Not at all. But are their weaknesses forgivable in light of the bigger picture? Absolutely.


Go here to keep reading.

No comments: